Saturday, March 7, 2015

How long did it take to paint that?

People often ask how long it takes to create a work of art. Usually it is an innocent question from someone who does not create, sometimes it is a criticism implying that the work is so simple that anyone could have painted it. The truth is that it is almost impossible for me to calculate how much time I spend working on a painting. The physical act of painting is a lot less than the amount of time I spend thinking about my painting, dreaming about my painting, and looking at my painting in progress. The honest answer to the question is that it has taken me my whole life to create this painting - it is the sum of everything I know, have learned, and have experienced.

I am also happy to let you know that Seeker has been selected to show at the 2015 Biennial Exhibition at Olin Hall Galleries. The show opens on March 13 at 6:00 pm with the Juror Lecture and Awards Announcements by Doug McClemont. Reception at 6:30pm. The show closes on April 5th. For directions see www.roanoke.edu/olingallery. I look forward to seeing you. suzun
 
If you would like to see some of our recent completed work that is for sale go to  www.wilsonhughesgallery.com or visit us at the gallery.
John Wilson & Suzun Hughes 
Wilson Hughes gallery - contemporary fine art & craft

No comments:

Post a Comment